Friday, December 16, 2011

A Winter's Walk

I know... it's not technically Winter yet. For me, December has never felt natural in its position as a Fall month, though we saw plenty of pumpkins on neighbors' porches still marking the Autumn season. We are only a few days away from Solstice and I am cheering for the return of the light!

When it is not raining, Graham and I go for a mid-day walk. We sojourn our driveway, cross the street, and look up at the sky. This is because Boeing 747s and the like come in from the east and bank over our house. We are in their flight path as they fly south toward a landing at SeaTac. Hearing the jet engines, we tilt our heads back and follow with our eyes until the big planes exit our field of sight. Enter the crows. We are also in their flight path. They migrate each day at sunset towards their nighttime roost away from Seattle city lights. Saying "Goodnight" to the murder of crows, as they are called in such numbers, are a welcome routine in my day.

We make our way to the little Pocket Park on the corner. We say "Hi" to the big trees and play with their cones and branches fallen. See the Daddy, Mommy, & Baby cones above? (Mommy & Baby are tucked into Big Daddy.)



On our way to and from the park, Graham exclaims "Mail! Mail!" His walk is not complete without checking the mail.



He doesn't care if the box is empty, as long as he gets to open and close the box enough times:)

3 comments:

  1. This post reminded me of the very sweet times I had with my oldest son. I loved our days of exploring and watching the world, going to the park each day and visiting friends! What a great time it was. He just turned 13 and has been joined by a wonderful sister and brother. I love our life now, but reading your post and looking at your photos was so sweet!! I'm glad you are enjoying your role as mom, I have so loved my time as an at-home mom, enjoy!! I found you on voiceBoks and am now following you! Have a great holiday season!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are beautiful. What great memories you're creating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my mail box too! The Daddy, Mommy and Baby cone is so cute!

    ReplyDelete