Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mini Christmas Home Tour

This Christmas I am keeping the decorations around here simple and sparse. I didn't plan it this way, it just seems to be evolving or UNevolving, and I'm satisfied knowing it will be less "work" in the future putting it all away. I feel a little sorry for all the decorations in my "tubs" in the attic that won't be celebrating their brief time of glory this year, but perhaps next year will be their year to shine!














Graham is delighted with the tree! Last year he was barely sitting up on his own. We have a whole new ball game this year! And it is a real ball game...







See how entranced he is by the silver ball? He thinks I put those on the tree for him to grab and throw. He has a great arm. I've already glued one of these. They are cheapies from Ikea, but I love them. They make it on the tree every year.








He is also fascinated by the lights. He twisted one of the bulbs until it no longer lights. Oh well, if he keeps at it, we will have a reason to get a "live" tree next year;)












I love this mermaid! I have always loved mermaids and pretended to be one in our swimming pool and the ocean as a child. I found her in Seal Beach, California while visiting Mimi & PopPop last year. Her shiny teal tail unexpectedly coordinates with those Ikea ornaments I showed you earlier:)









This is one of my favorites from a few years ago. I love snowmen, too! It is one of the few delicate ornaments on the tree this year, as there is little room at the top of the tree away from curious hands. I also added flowers to my tree this year! My mom put poinsettas on her friend Sandy's tree, and it sounded like a good idea. It IS! I am loving it!








Here is the white bunch of Poinsettas. They are only a dollar a bundle at Dollar Tree. I think I "need" more;) Also, the red bird ornament reminds me of home. The cardinal is the Ohio state bird. It reminds me of my family back there, especially my Mamaw. She loved feeding the red birds.







One of Chris's guitars. I wanted to buy him one each year. We currently have two. I know he wishes I were giving him REAL guitars each year, but he was happy to unwrap these ornaments and hang them on the tree. This is a Fender Stratocaster. Are you impressed by my guitar knowledge? It rubs off on you. Just ask Graham. The bonus to this tiny guitar collection is it takes up less space than his real guitar collection;)





Here is Graham's favorite..."Boat!" I bought this years ago when I used to take the ferry back and forth from my home on the Olympic Peninsula to Seattle. I had no idea how much it would please my little guy, and am so glad I bought it! I often find this on the floor mixed in with the Hot Wheels and trains.








One of my favorite things about decorating the tree are the associated memories with each ornament. This lovely satin star was a gift from family friends Emma and Ariel. They got it for me on a mother/daughter trip to Washington D.C. Not only do I love stars, but I love thinking of them when I see this on the tree.




And then there are ornaments like these! Made by our family friend and neighbor from Seminole, Florida. June Stephenson made these for us, and they have hung on our family tree for decades! I have the best memories of my childhood growing up in that neighborhood with such loving and familiar people. I think June would be pleased to know how her crafty gifts have withstood the years and reminded me of childhood love and joy all throughout them.








I hang a set of three words in silver: Love, Joy, and Peace. I certainly wish this for everyone!


(I have Scour Off brain...I want to shine this ornament now that I see it here! LOL)







And the top of the tree:) Angels & Sun! Celebrating the spirit of hope, compassion, gentleness, and the return of the light!








Awww, Bear Bear...our sweet kitty who rose to the top of the totem pole with the passing of her sister Star, her brother Ting, and her sister/mother Annabelle. She only tasted the top ranking only to be demoted to the bottom of the heap by Graham, hence the perturbed look that is common to her face these days. At least I put out the Christmas pillows for her to lay on;)


Do you see that little pillow back there? I love it! So cute! I found this at a thrift store. It has a deer and a snowman, two of my favorite things! I am realizing I have a lot of favorite things, just writing this post! Let's see, snowmen, deer, mermaids, stars...and to think I wanted to start a collection of salt & pepper shakers. (I still kinda do...is that wrong?)








The only lighted "house" that has made it out so far, the country church. I love this, too. Chris suggested I turn our "spare" bedroom into a lighted village. He loves to tease me about my little lighted house obsession. I don't have THAT many. Let's see, dance studio, log cabin, winery, theatre, beach cottage, and church. I think I will get him the pizza parlor and the collection will be complete;)











That pretty much concludes my holiday home tour! Easy, peasy...just need to unearth the stockings. Hoping to dig out my tree collection. Geez, how did I end up with so many collections??? It must be my Taurean nature.




As you can see, Graham's tree obsession is in full force day and night, as he is in his PJ's here. And I am on guard, defending my petite tree and all of its inhabitants, my precious little reminders of loved ones and the light on which I depend!




Merry Christmas to You! Yay for Winter Solstice! Wishing you the very best of the holidays!




Love,


Suzanne









































































































































2 comments:

  1. I have a red bird ornament on my tree too, in honor of mamaw! Miss her so much! Love your tree! Brian and I try to buy at least one ornament a year that symbolized something from that year. We have started our own little collection! Love your tree!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, you are so devoted with your comments & support! I can't thank you enough for your steady encouragement! Mamaw would be so happy that we honor her with our red bird ornaments;) I love how you guys buy an ornament each year that signifies something. What are some of your favorites?

    ReplyDelete